Monday, January 24, 2011

Sometimes the Blues is Just a Passing Bird

Time to memorialize the Top Songs Added to my Musical Library in 2010 (annual caveat of one song per artist) and have some fun with hashtags. Apologies to Spoon, Kanye West, Sara Bareilles, the Born Ruffians, and especially Antoine Dodson...close, but no cigar (as of January 2011).


10. Kings of Leon - "Pick
up Truck"
The downward slide since Because of the Times continues...this is a bit of a stretch, but I'll give the guys of a pass because they still put on a fantastic live show. #highstandards




9. Dave Barnes - "Look So Easy"
A nice, fun summery type pop song. I listened to this song a lot with my niece and nephew in 2010. Not bad times.
#summercandy




8. Mumford and Sons - "Sigh No More"
"Timshel" might just be better, but I'll give credit to the song that originally caught my ear. I had a nice weekend trip to Wisconsin listening to these guys (thanks, Corks). That said, not sure I could see them live given all the physical abuse bestowed upon the banjo. #stopbanjoabuse



7. Wye Oak - "My Creator"
Nice little find here; for some reason I feel like I'm catching on to these guys on the upswing. Fun fact: I like this song almost entirely because of Jenn's enunciation. #weird
#jennwithtwoenns



6. Ben Rector - "When a Heart Breaks"
(Rector?!?) Props to Luke for suggesting a purchase of this album after seeing The Three Amigos open for Dave Barnes at the Exit/In. This song features one of my favorite lyrics of the year: "I don't need answers, I just need some peace; I just need someone who could help me get some sleep." #eeeemotions


5. Arcade Fire - "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)"
Look, I love the suburbs. But despite our obvious differences of opinion, this album was a winner from the start. And while I appreciate the sentiment of "We Used to Wait" a lot, this song is too catchy and (oddly) joyful to deny. #iheartchilis


4. Local Natives - "Wide Eyes"
I still find a bit improbable that these guys hail from the cultural black hole known as Orange County, playing such "venues" as The District in Tustin. Bottom line, Luke had it right when he said "the first 40 seconds of every song wishes it were as good as this one." #missyoutaylortownsend


3. Jars of Clay - "The Shelter"
The mancrush continues. Taken from an Irish proverb declaring that "it is in the shelter of each other that the people live," this tune is about finding strength in those around us...about seeing our community as a blessing and a gift. A novel concept on which to reflect...and another tune from Jars that both brings comfort and obliges action. #somethingtoaspireto



2. Frightened Rabbit - "The Loneliness & The Scream"
Another ridiculously strong effort from these Scottish lads. The new, fuller sound of the ever-expanding band really plays here. This song does not suck live. #morethanonedudeondrums



1. The Tallest Man on Earth - "The Wild Hunt"
2010: "The Year of Kristian Matsson." Love is All. A Field of Birds. King of Spain. The cover of Graceland. I could go on, but I'll go with the song through which we were introduced as my favorite TMoE song. Ironically, I first heard "The Wild Hunt" while hoping to catch a live Frightened Rabbit show on BBC Radio online...a happy accident. #WOAHsoisthiswhatshemeans

No comments:

Post a Comment